Aleksandra Stefanović, PhD
Position: Associate professor
Organizational unit: Department of Medical Biochemistry
Address: Vojvode Stepe 450, 11221 Beolgrade, Serbia
Phone: +381 11 3951-284
Fax: +381 11 3972-840
Aleksandra Stefanović was born in 1977 in Leskovac, Serbia. She has graduated as a pharmacist in 2001, and defended doctoral thesis entitled “Association of obesity, oxidative status, lipids and non-lipids risk facotors for carddiovascular desease development in diabetes mellitus type 2 patients” in 2011 at Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Belgrade (Mentor: Prof. Slavica Spasić).
Aleksandra Stefanović is employed at the Department of Medical Biochemistry since February 2002. She was elected in an assistant in 2007 and in an assistant professor in 2013. She is an active teacher on Integrated Academic Studies for both Master of Pharmacy and Master of Pharmacy – Medical Biochemist study programs.
She is the co-author of 30 scientific papers and 38 presentations on international and national scientific meetings. According to University Library “Svetozar Marković” databases, her papers were quoted 78 times till 2012. She acts as a reviewer for several international scientific journals.
From 2007 till 2010, she participated at the scientific project entitled “The study of biochemical and genetic risk factors as causes and markers of atherosclerosis and other diseases: analytical and clinical aspects”, and from 2011 she is a collaborator at the project “Interactive role of dyslipidemia, oxidative stress and inflammation in atherosclerosis and other diseases: genetic and biochemical markers “, financed by Ministry of Education, Science and Technological Development of Republic of Serbia. From 2008 till 2011, she participated at international project within European research programme COST, (European Cooperation in Science and Technology); Scientific Domain: Biomedicine and Molecular Biosciences; Action: Lipid Peroxidation Associated Disorders: LPO (B35); Role of oxidative stress and dyslipidemia in atherosclerosis. Since 2010 she participates at international project COST: Scientific Domain: Biomedicine and Molecular Biosciences; Action: HDL: From Biological Understanding to Clinical Exploitation" (BM0904). She also collaborated at the project of bilateral cooperation between Republic of Serbia and Republic of Slovenia entitled "Diagnostic Value of New Atherosclerosis Biomarkers in End-Stage Renal Disease Patients".
Research interest of Aleksandra Stefanović is mainly focused on analysis oxidative stress in different pathologies associated with atherosclerosis. She is a member of Serbian Biochemical Society and Serbian Society for Mitochondrial and Free-Radical Physiology.
- Stefanovic A, Kotur-Stevuljevic J, Vujovic A, Spasic S, Spasojevic-Kalimanovska V, Jelic-Ivanovic Z, Martinovic J, Ardalic D, Mandic-Markovic V, Mikovic Z, Cerovic N. Association of the atherogenic index of plasma and oxidative stress status with weight gain during non-complicated pregnancy. Clin Chem Lab Med 2012. 50(11): 2019-25.
- Stefanović A, Ardalic D, Kotur-Stevuljević J, Vujović A, Spasic S, Spasojević-Kalimanovska V, Jelic-Ivanovic Z, Mandic-Markovic V, Mikovic Z, Cerovic N. Longitudinal changes in PON1 activvities, PON1 phenotype distribution and oxidative status through normal pregnancy. Reprod Toxicol. 2012 Jan; 33(1):20-6.
- Stefanovic A, J Kotur-Stevuljevic, S Spasic, J Vekic, A Zeljkovic, V Spasojevic-Kalimanovska, and Z Jelic-Ivanovic .HDL 2 particles are associated with hyperglycaemia, lower PON1 activity and oxidative stress in type 2 diabetes mellitus patients. Clin Biochem, Oct 2010; 43(15): 1230-5.
- Stefanović A, Kotur-Stevuljević J, Spasić S, Vekić J, Bujišić N. Association of oxidative stress and paraoxonase status with PROCAM risk score. Clin Biochem 2009; 42: 617-623.
- Stefanovic A, Kotur-Stevuljevic J, Spasic S, Bogavac-Stanojevic N, Bujisic N. The influence of obesity on the oxidative stress status and the concentration of leptin in type 2 diabetes mellitus patients. Diab Res Clin Pract 79(2008) 156-163.
- Suvakov S, Damjanovic T, Stefanovic A, Pekmezovic T, Savic-Radojevic A, Pljesa-Ercegovac M, Matic M, Djukic T, Coric V, Jakovljevic J, Ivanisevic J, Pljesa S, Jelic-Ivanovic Z, Mimic-Oka J, Dimkovic N, Simic T. Glutatione-S-transferase A1, M1, P1 and T1 null or low-activity genotypes are associated with enhanced oxidative damage among hemodialysis patients. Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2013. 28(1): 202-12.
- M Stojanov, A Stefanovic, G Dzingalasevic, S Mandic-Radic, and M Prostran Butyrylcholinesterase activity in young men and women: association with cardiovascular risk factors. M Stojanov, A Stefanovic, G Dzingalasevic, S Mandic-Radic, and M Prostran. Clin Biochem, Jun 2011; 44(8-9): 623-6.
- Kotur-Stevuljević J, Spasić S, Jelić-Ivanović Z, Spasojević-Kalimanovska V, Stefanović A, Vujović A, Memon L, Kalimanovska-Oštrić D. PON1 status is influenced by oxidative stress and inflammation in coronary heart disease patients. Clin Biochem 2008; 41: 1067-1073.
- Vekic J, Kotur-Stevuljevic J, Jelic-Ivanovic Z, Spasic S, Spasojevic-Kalimanovska V, Topic A, Zeljkovic A, Stefanovic A, Zunic G. Association of oxidative stress and PON1 with LDL and HDL particle size in middle-aged subjects. Eur J Clin Invest 2007; 37: 715-723.
- Kotur-Stevuljević J, Memon L, Stefanović A, Spasić S, Spasojević-Kalimanovska V, Bogavac-Stanojević N, Kalimanovska-Oštrić D, Jelić-Ivanović Z, Žunić G. Correlation of oxidative stress parameters and inflammatory markers in coronary artery disease patients. Clin Biochem 2007; 40: 181-187.