Katarina Nikolić, PhD
In 1993. Katarina Nikolic completed high school of natural sciences and mathematics in Ruma, Serbia.
She graduated in 1998 at the Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Belgrade, and in 1999 she received the award for the best student of the generation of the Faculty of Pharmacy for the 1997/98 school year.
Katarina Nikolic defended her master's thesis in the field of molecular spectroscopy in 2001 under the mentorship of prof. dr. Ubavka Mioč, Faculty of Physical Chemistry, University of Belgrade, Serbia.
From 2001 to 2005, she was engaged as a research associate on an international project led by prof. dr. Anastasios Keramidas at the Faculty of Chemistry, University of Nicosia, Cyprus.
She defended her doctoral dissertation in the field of pharmaceutical chemistry and structural analysis in 2007 under the mentorship of prof. dr. Danica Agbaba, Department of Pharmaceutical Chemistry, Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Belgrade, Serbia.
Since 2007, she has been engaged in conducting experimental and theoretical parts of Pharmaceutical Chemistry II and III in integrated academic studies at the Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Belgrade.
In 2012, she was elected to Assistant Professor at the Department of Pharmaceutical Chemistry, Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Belgrade, and in 2017 she was elected to Associate Professor at the same department.
Since 2007, she has actively participated in research projects of the Ministry of Science of the Republic of Serbia (142071, 172033, 173001), and she is currently the head of the research group within the institutional funding of the Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Belgrade.
Katarina Nikolic is engaged as MC member in several Horison 2020/COST projects. She is the principal investigator of the bilateral project Hubert Curien Partnership Project with France (Institute Pasteur) and participate on the Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft project (University of Dusseldorf).
The main areas of her research work include: molecular modeling, 3D-QSAR and pharmacophore analysis, computer-aided drug design, molecular docking, virtual screening, molecular dynamics, in vitro/in silico ADMET screening, development of new analytical methods and chemometrics. The research work is focused on the discovery and study of new antineoplastics and CNS drugs.
Katarina Nikolic has published ninety-five papers in international scientific journals and one monography of international importance. She has given over ten oral presentations and four invited lectures at international conferences.
Scopus: 960 total citations (without self-citations), h-index: 17
WoS: 1253 total citations (without self-citations), h-index: 17
ORCID ID: 0000-0002-3656-9245
- I. Asanovic, E. Strandback, A. Kroupova, Dj. Pasajlic, A. Meinhart, P. Tsung-Pin, N. Djokovic, D. Anrather, T. Schuetz, M.J. Suskiewicz, S. Sillamaa, T. Kocher, R. Beveridge, K. Nikolic, A. Schleiffer, M. Jinek, M. Hartl, T. Clausen, J.Penninger, P. Macheroux, S. Weitzer, J. Martinez. The oxidoreductase PYROXD1 uses NAD(P)+ as an antioxidant to sustain tRNA ligase activity in pre-tRNA splicing and unfolded protein response. Molecular Cell 2021, 81 (12), P2520-2532.E16, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.molcel.2021.04.007
- S. Rodriguez-Arévalo, A. Bagán, Christian G. Ferré, F. Vasilopoulou, M. Pallàs, I. Brocos-Mosquera, L.F. Callado, M. Isabel Loza, A.L. Martínez, J. Brea, B. Pérez, E. Molins, S. De Jonghe, D. Daelemans, M. Radan, T. Djikic, K. Nikolic, E.H. Hernández, M.J. García-Fuster, J.A. García-Sevilla, C. Escolano, Benzofuranyl-2-imidazoles as imidazoline I2 receptor ligands for Alzheimer's disease, European Journal of Medicinal Chemistry 2021, 222, 113540, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejmech.2021.113540.
- N. Djokovic, D. Ruzic, T. Djikic, S. Cvijic, J. Ignjatovic, S. Ibric, K. Baralic, A. Buha Djordjevic, M. Curcic, D. Djukic-Cosic, K. Nikolic. An Integrative in Silico Drug Repurposing Approach for Identification of Potential Inhibitors of SARS-CoV-2 Main Protease. Molecular Informatics 2021, 40, 2000187. https://doi.org/10.1002/minf.202000187
- S. Abás, S. Rodríguez-Arévalo, A. Bagán, C. Griñán-Ferré, F. Vasilopoulou, I. Brocos-Mosquera, C. Muguruza, B. Pérez, E. Molins, F. Javier Luque, P. Pérez-Lozano, S. de Jonghe, D. Daelemans, L. Naesens, J. Brea, M. Isabel Loza, E. Hernández-Hernández, J. A. García-Sevilla, M. Julia García-Fuster, M. Radan, T. Djikic, K. Nikolic, M. Pallàs, L. F. Callado, C. Escolano. Bicyclic α‑Iminophosphonates as High Affinity Imidazoline I2 Receptor Ligands for Alzheimer’s Disease. Journal of Medicinal Chemistry 2020, 63, 7, 3610–3633. https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.jmedchem.9b02080
- JT. Djikic, J. Vucicevic, J. Laurila, M. Radi, N. Veljkovic, H. Xhaard, K. Nikolic. Deciphering Imidazoline Off‐Targets by Fishing in the Class A of GPCR field. Molecular Informatics 2020, 39, 1900165. https://doi.org/10.1002/minf.201900165
- L.A. Alves Avelar, D. Ruzic, N. Djokovic, T. Kurz, K. Nikolic. Structure-based design of selective histone deacetylase 6 zinc binding groups. Journal of Biomolecular Structure and Dynamics 2020, 38, 11, 3166-3177. https://doi.org/10.1080/07391102.2019.1652687
- D. Ruzic, M. Petkovic, D. Agbaba, A Ganesan, K. Nikolic. Combined Ligand and Fragment-based Drug Design of Selective Histone Deacetylase-6 Inhibitors. Molecular Informatics 2019, 38 (5), 1800083. https://doi.org/10.1002/minf.201800083
- S. Bouchet, C. Linot, D. Ruzic, D. Agbaba, B. Fouchaq, J. Roche, K. Nikolic, C. Blanquart, P. Bertrand. Extending Cross Metathesis To Identify Selective HDAC Inhibitors: Synthesis, Biological Activities, and Modeling. ACS Medicinal Chemistry Letters 2019, 10, 863−868. https://doi.org/10.1021/acsmedchemlett.8b00440
- L. Albert, A. Peñalver, N. Djokovic, L. Werel, M. Hoffarth, D. Ruzic, J. Xu, L.O. Essen, K. Nikolic, Y. Dou, O. Vázquez. Modulating Protein-Protein Interactions with Visible-Light Responsive Peptide Backbone Photoswitches. ChemBioChem 2019, 20 (11), 1417-1429. https://doi.org/10.1002/cbic.201800737