Jelena Vekić, PhD
Position: associate professor
Organizational unit: Department of Medical Biochemistry
Address: Vojvode Stepe 450, 11221 Beolgrade, Serbia
Phone: +381 11 3951-269
Fax: +381 11 3972-840
Jelena Vekić was born in 1978 in Ćuprija. She has graduated as a pharmacist-medical biochemist in 2003, and defended doctoral thesis entitled “Physico-chemical characteristics of low-density and high-density lipoprotein subfractions in healthy subjects and correlation with lipid and non-lipid risk factors for atherosclerosis” in 2011 at Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Belgrade (Mentor: Prof. Zorana Jelić-Ivanović).
Jelena Vekić has been employed at the Department of Medical Biochemistry since February 2003. She was elected in an assistant in 2007 and in an assistant professor in 2013.
She is an active teacher on Integrated Academic Studies for both Master of Pharmacy and Master of Pharmacy – Medical Biochemist study programs.
She is the co-author of 25 scientific papers and 36 presentations on international and national scientific meetings. According to University Library “Svetozar Marković” databases, her papers were quoted 76 times, till 2012. She acts as a reviewer for several international scientific journals.
From 2006 till 2010, she participated at the scientific project entitled “The study of biochemical and genetic risk factors as causes and markers of atherosclerosis and other diseases: analytical and clinical aspects”, and from 2011 she is a collaborator at the project “Interactive role of dyslipidemia, oxidative stress and inflammation in atherosclerosis and other diseases: genetic and biochemical markers “, financed by the Ministry of Education, Science and Technological Development of Republic of Serbia. From 2008 till 2011, she participated at international project within European research programme COST, (European Cooperation in Science and Technology); Scientific Domain: Biomedicine and Molecular Biosciences; Action: Lipid Peroxidation Associated Disorders: LPO (B35); Role of oxidative stress and dyslipidemia in atherosclerosis. Since 2010, she participates at international project COST: Scientific Domain: Biomedicine and Molecular Biosciences; Action: HDL: From Biological Understanding to Clinical Exploitation" (BM0904). She also collaborated at the project of bilateral cooperation between Republic of Serbia and Republic of Slovenia entitled “Diagnostic Value оf New Aterosclerosis Biomarkers in End-Stage Renal Disease Patients”.
Research interest of Jelena Vekić is focused on investigation of risk factors for development and progression of atherosclerosis, particularly on plasma lipoprotein heterogeneity and their structural and functional alterations.
Jelena Vekić is a member of the Serbian Biochemical Society and the Serbian Society for Mitochondrial and Free-Radical Physiology.
- Vekic J, Zeljkovic A, Jelic-Ivanovic Z, Spasojevic-Kalimanovska V, Spasic S, Videnovic-Ivanov J, Ivanisevic J, Vucinic-Mihailovic V, Gojkovic T. Distribution of low-density lipoprotein and high-density lipoprotein subclasses in patients with sarcoidosis. Arch Pathol Lab Med 2013; doi: 10.5858/arpa.2012-0299-OA.
- Zeljkovic A, Vekic J, Spasojevic-Kalimanovska V, Jelic-Ivanovic Z, Kalimanovska-Ostric D, Memon L, Bogavac-Stanojevic N, Topic A, Spasic S. Smaller HDL particles are associated with absence of obstructive coronary artery disease in stable angina pectoris patients. Ann Clin Biochem 2013; doi: 10.1177/0004563213499908.
- Zeljkovic A, Vekic J, Spasic S, Jelic-Ivanovic Z, Spasojevic-Kalimanovska V, Gojkovic T, Ardalic D, Mandic-Markovic V, Cerovic N, Mikovic Z. Changes in LDL and HDL subclasses in normal pregnancy and associations with birth weight, birth length and head circumference. Matern Child Health J 2013; 556-65.
- Vekic J, Zeljkovic A, Bogavac-Stanojevic N, Jelic-Ivanovic Z, Spasojevic-Kalimanovska V, Simic-Ogrizovic S, Dopsaj V, Spasic S. Cox proportional hazard model analysis of survival in end-stage renal disease patients with small-sized high-density lipoprotein particles. Clin Biochem 2011; 44: 635-41.
- Zeljkovic A, Vekic J, Spasojevic-Kalimanovska V, Jelic-Ivanovic Z, Peco-Antic A, Kostic M, Vasic D, Spasic S. Characteristics of low-density and high-density lipoprotein subclasses in pediatric renal transplant recipients. Transpl Int 2011; 24: 1094-102.
- Zeljkovic A, Vekic J, Spasojevic-Kalimanovska V, Jelic-Ivanovic Z, Bogavac-Stanojevic N, Gulan B, Spasic S. LDL and HDL subclasses in acute ishemic stroke: prediction of risk and short-term mortality. Atherosclerosis 2010; 210: 548-54.
- Vekic J, Zeljkovic A, Jelic-Ivanovic Z, Spasojevic-Kalimanovska V, Bogavac-Stanojevic N, Memon L, Spasic S. Small, dense LDL cholesterol and apolipoprotein B: relationship with serum lipids and LDL size. Atherosclerosis 2009; 207: 496-501.
- Vekic J, Jelic-Ivanovic Z, Spasojevic-Kalimanovska V, Memon L, Zeljkovic A, Bogavac-Stanojevic N, Spasic S. High serum uric acid and low-grade inflammation are associated with smaller LDL and HDL particles. Atherosclerosis 2009; 203: 236-42.
- Rizzo M, Kotur-Stevuljevic J, Berneis K, Spinas G, Rini GB, Jelic-Ivanovic Z, Spasojevic-Kalimanovska V, Vekic J. Atherogenic dyslipidemia and oxidative stress: a new look. Transl Res 2009; 153: 217-23.
- Vekic J, Kotur-Stevuljevic J, Jelic-Ivanovic Z, Spasic S, Spasojevic-Kalimanovska V, Topic A, Zeljkovic A, Stefanovic A, Zunic G. Association of oxidative stress and PON1 with LDL and HDL particle size in middle-aged subjects. Eur J Clin Invest 2007; 37: 715-23.